Set in 23 hectares of olive and almond groves, this lovingly restored 19th-century farmhouse offers peace, quiet and Puertos de Beceite mountain views, which can be enjoyed from the Mediterranean garden, the saltwater infinity pool, and most of its 15 bedrooms.
The surrounding region is dotted with medieval towns, Gothic castles and churches galore; while picturesque nature trails are found all around. Epicurean pleasures are very much a part of the Mas de la Costa experience. There’s a ‘slow food’ philosophy here. Gourmet cuisine made from lots of local ingredients is served in the elegant dining room (with original features) or, in the warmer months, from the terrace – where once again you can drink in those magnificent mountain views.
- The views! You’re surrounded by olive groves, vineyards, mountains and medieval hilltop towns
- It’s a haven for cyclists and hikers, with easy access to scenic nature trails
- We loved the eclectic décor: old family heirlooms sit comfortably next to original pieces the owners collected on their travels
- Impressive sustainability: from solar panels and bio-mass pellets powering heating and electricity, to organic local produce
- Rather good for families too
- The communal breakfast set-up may suit some, but not all (although it's a nice way to meet other guests)
- Dinner is a formal three-courser and while you can opt for a la carte, you’ll have to venture into the village if you want something a little more down-to-earth
- While the walking is great, there’s very little public transport in these parts and you’ll definitely need a car to explore this beautiful area
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 15 rooms
- All ages welcome
- Closed: Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car essential
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
Françoise’s passion for poetry inspired her to name all 15 rooms after her favourite bards, and on every bedside table is a book of their work.
Vintage hardwood floors, teak tables, original artwork, and marble-like columns create elegantly simple rooms with a subtle colonial feel across all three categories: Double Superior, Junior Suite and Suite. Bathrooms are lined with beautiful handmade Andalucian tiles. Sleep comes easy in kingsize beds with premium Italian linens, and while there are room thermostats, we preferred to open our French windows and let the fresh mountain breeze in.
Two Junior Suites and two Double Superiors have private gardens; two out of three Suites have their own terraces (the third has a balcony). There’s space for a cot in the two larger Double Superiors, but bigger families can opt for the 50sqm Suites, which accommodate five. All three Suites have a fireplace and impressive mountain views; the Pablo Neruda Suite has kept its original wood-beamed ceiling.
- In room treatments available
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
It’s hard to believe the hotel’s dining room was once the old cattle stables. Original wood-beamed ceilings and stone arches are tell-tale signs of its former life, but the rest has been carefully transformed into an elegant, light-filled space.
A three-course Mediterranean menu changes daily, and is made with mostly organic and locally-sourced produce (plus more ingredients from France, Italy and other parts of Spain) – some of it gleaned from the hotel’s very own garden. You might luck out with grilled seared scallops and Jerusalem artichoke mousse, or wild turbot with crispy Jamón de Teruel. But whatever’s on offer, it’s guaranteed to be good. In warmer months, enjoy alfresco terrace seating with views of the Puertos de Beceite mountain range.
There’s a well-stocked wine cellar that works as an honesty bar, or ask the staff to mix you a cocktail – best enjoyed by the fireplace or in the library. Breakfast is communal-style in the modern kitchen. Help yourself to top-quality local hams, cheeses, bread and jams. If you want eggs, just ask.
- Dinner by arrangement
- Lunch by arrangement
- Cycle through tunnels, ravines, vineyards and forests on the Via Verde route, a disused railway line turned nature trail; the hotel organises bike rentals
- In summer months, swim, kayak or paddle in the Pena reservoir at the foothills of the Puertos de Beceite mountains, a 15-minute drive away
- We’d recommend the olive oil tasting and tour at Biocaseres, home to 2000-year-old olive trees and an ancient olive mill
- Sign up for a wine tasting session among the vineyards of a local bodega with Taxitour, who arrange everything for you
- After a day of exploring, pamper yourself in the spa, then relax in the cosy TV room, the well-stocked library or by the roaring fireplace
- Owner and amateur astronomer Christian is building an observatory so guests can study stars in the clear, unpolluted Aragonese sky
Activities on site or nearby include:
There are plenty of nooks and crannies to discover at the hotel, and kids of all ages are welcome. Children can splash about in the saltwater pool, watch films in the TV room, read comics in the library, or play a game of chess or dominoes. The Mas de Bunyol observatory and the Crystal Caves are popular kid-friendly outings, while castles capture vivid imaginations. Children needn’t miss out on the cycling trails – the first 10km section of the Via Verde is recommended for all ages.
Family friendly accommodation:
Suites can accommodate an extra bed or a cot, or a sofa bed for two children, on request. There is an extra charge for children, depending on age.
Kids Activities on site:
- Saltwater pool
- TV room with films
- Comics in the library
- Airport: 90 minutes
- Shops: 7 minutes
- Hospital or clinic: 7 minutes
Mas de la Costa is in the Matarraña region of Teruel, in eastern Aragon. Barcelona and Valencia are both 2.5-3 hours' drive away.
The nearest airports are Castellon and Reus, which are 1-2 hours' drive away but have limited international flights. For a wider choice, fly into Valencia or Barcelona (2.5-3 hours' drive).
From the Airport
You'll need to hire a car, as public transport is very limited, and the hotel is set in the countryside.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Barcelona 225.0 km
- Valencia 217.0 km
- Beach 45.0 km
- Shops 4.0 km
- Restaurant 4.0 km