On the western side of the island, just a few kilometres from the capital Argostoli, lie the Kefalonia Pool Suites, an upmarket five-apartment boutique complex that serves both as a perfect family base and an achingly cool couples’ retreat. There’s a communal pool, but each apartment is completely self-contained with its own terrace huddling the lush garden and overlooking the breath-taking vista of Argostoli and the shimmering sea beyond. Unfussy luxury is the watchword here – each accommodation is simply but tastefully designed. Creams and soft greys abound, clean lines and sleek modern fittings add a contemporary touch, while local wood and wickerwork paired with understated natural fabrics create warmth and charm. The minimalism is intentional – nothing to detract from those jaw-dropping landscapes – and we can't wait to see them.
- The views. Each apartment overlooks the sea and the city below, so whether it’s an al fresco breakfast, a leisurely afternoon BBQ, or a post-sightseeing sundowner, the scene is always set and Instagram ready
- A great location means you’re far enough from the bustle of the capital to relax and recuperate, yet close enough for a 10-minute drive to the centre of the action
- There's a concierge you meet in person when you arrive who can recommend and book activities and restaurants, contactable via mobile phone at all times
- Each apartment has two bedrooms, so they're great for friends and families with teens travelling together
- There’s a spacious terrace to mix and mingle with other guests but the shared pool isn’t huge and, since each suite can sleep up to four people, it could be busy at high occupancy
- No onsite restaurant or bar – although each villa has its own kitchen and you can arrange a pre-shopping service so all essentials can be awaiting your arrival (an extra charge)
- No kids under 12
- No credit cards accepted, payment by bank transfer only
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 5 apartments for 4
- Over 12s only
- Closed: November through March
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are five chic apartments in total, differentiated by the private outside area – two with a veranda, two with a loft and one with a balcony. All are poster children for minimalist contemporary design, and have a master bedroom with a queensize bed and its own ensuite shower bathroom. The second bedroom in all five can be set up as a twin or double. Every apartment comes with an open-plan living room and kitchenette.
The Veranda Apartments are both on the ground floor; their twin rooms have their own separate shower bathrooms. Both bedrooms open out onto the dedicated veranda with breakfast table and chairs.
The Loft Apartments are arranged across two levels with both bedrooms on the top floor, accessed via a metal staircase; note that only Loft 2 has a second shower bathroom. On the lower floor, the living room and kitchenette open onto the private veranda.
The Balcony Apartment is similar in layout to the Veranda Apartments although smaller and on the first floor. The open-plan living room and twin room (which has a separate shower bathroom) both open onto the balcony.
All the apartments have fantastic long views across the island and the Ionian Sea, as well as high-speed WiFi throughout, and private parking on the property.
- Safe box
Each apartment has a well-kitted out if bijou kitchenette. A shopping service can be pre-booked if you would like provisions to await you on arrival; tea, coffee, salt and washing up liquid are provided. There's a guest book in each apartment detailing local food shops and restaurants as well as activities. The nearest shops for basics such as bread and fruit are down the road in Kompothekrata Village, or there's a bigger selection and more options in Argostoli, 3.5km away by car. Platys Gialos (6km) has a tavern, a café and a supermarket.
With no restaurant on site, your best bet is a quick cab ride to Argostoli which, being the capital of Kefalonia and a busy port, is where the best choices are. Highly recommended is Sepia near the seafront for its Japanese cuisine (the sushi and sashimi are said to be the best on the island while, strangely, the cheesecake is also much talked-about).
For more traditional fare, check out Tzivras Restaurant 1933 (the classic Greek beef and phyllo pie kreatopita, roasted vegetables briam and moussaka are very popular), while Il Borgo serves similar local fare but in the grand setting of St George’s Castle, so perfect for a romantic dinner.
Oskars Creative Cuisine in nearby Lassi is a mix of both traditional and new. A lot of the produce is grown in their gardens and the seafood is particularly renowned – sea bass, prawns and mussels among others. But do leave room for their famous orange cake.
- Shopping service
- There’s plenty to do in Argostoli but it’s best for eating, drinking and shopping. However, Kefalonia is a large island so it’s worth getting a car or booking one of the many tours; check in with the concierge for more details
- Sunworshippers should check out the beaches – Myrtos, Assos, Petani and the horseshoe-shaped Antisamos cove just outside Sami (Captain Corelli was filmed around here); the nearest is Makrys Gialos Beach (5km)
- Day trippers should visit the gorgeous Melissani Cave – including a boat trip on its glassy waters – and take in the eerie splendour of the Drogarati Cave. The Castle of St George is a bit of a climb but great for a wander around its vast ruins before a dip in the sea and a drink at Peratata village below
- Densely forested Mount Ainos is the national park and has a number of walking trails and some (elusive) wild horses. At its height, 1600m, the views are unparalleled. Also check out the stunning Agios Gerasimos monastery, where Kefalonia’s patron saint St Gerasimos is mummified
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
All children over the age of 12 are welcome. Note that there are no extra beds.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All apartments have a second twin bedroom and the Apartments with Veranda and the Apartment with Balcony all have two bathrooms.
The Kefalonia Pool Suites are situated around 3.5km from Argostoli, the island's capital city, on the Ionian island of Kefalonia.
Kefalonia airport (Anna Pollatou, 7km away) is served by charter flights from the UK and Europe throughout the summer; at other times you can fly via Athens.
From the Airport:
Taxis are freely available, you can also book a transfer, and if you want to hire a car to explore the island see our car rental recommendations. There is also onsite parking for rental cars at the Suites.
Poros port, which connects the island with Kyllini in the Peloponnese, is 41.5 km away on the southeast side of Kefalonia. Sami port connects the island with Patra, also in the Peloponnese, and is 28 km away on the northeast side of Kefalonia.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Kefalonia Airport 7.0 km EFL
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 3.5 km