On the western side of the island, tucked away a few kilometres above the capital Argostoli, lie the Kefalonia Pool Suites; an upmarket five-apartment boutique complex that serves both as a laidback family base and an achingly cool couples’ retreat. There’s a communal pool with shimmering sea views, but each apartment is completely self-contained with its own terrace shrouded by a lush garden overlooking Argostoli's breath-taking coastal vista. Unfussy luxury is the watchword here: from the attentive but ever-discreet concierge service to the simple but tastefully designed suites. Creams and soft greys abound, metal staircases and sleek modern fittings add a contemporary touch, while local wood and wickerwork paired with understated natural fabrics create warmth and charm. The minimalism is intentional, working with the jaw-dropping landscapes to instantly soothe your senses. Even after our short and sweet stay at these seaview suites, we left feeling notably refreshed. Imagine what a week could do...
- The views. Each apartment overlooks the sea and the city below, so whether it’s an al fresco breakfast, a leisurely afternoon swim, or a post-sightseeing sundowner, the scene is always set and Instagram-ready
- A great location means you’re far enough from the buzz of the capital to relax and recuperate, yet only a 10-minute drive to the centre of the action and a choice of lovely, sandy beaches
- Great value, especially outside of the summer holidays
- There's a helpful concierge you meet in person when you arrive who can recommend and book activities and restaurants, contactable via mobile phone at all times
- Each apartment has two bedrooms, so they're great for friends and families with teens travelling together
- The shared pool isn’t huge and, since each suite can sleep up to four people, it could be busy at high occupancy (though we never shared it during our fully booked stay)
- No onsite restaurant or bar, and it's a (short) drive to the nearest in the city, but each apartment has its own kitchen
- There are no TVs or radios, but with views like this we didn't miss it
- No kids under 12
- No credit cards accepted, payment by bank transfer only
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments
- 5 apartments for 4
- Over 12s only
- Closed: November through March
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car recommended
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
There are five chic apartments in total, differentiated by the private outside area – two with a veranda, two with a loft and one with a balcony. All are poster children for minimalist contemporary design, and have a master bedroom with a queensize bed and its own ensuite shower bathroom. The second bedroom in all five can be set up as a twin or double. Every apartment comes with an open-plan living room and kitchenette.
The Veranda Apartments are both on the ground floor; their twin rooms have their own separate shower bathrooms. Both bedrooms open out onto the dedicated veranda with breakfast table and chairs.
The Loft Apartments are arranged across two levels. We stayed in the slightly larger Loft 1, which had a bedroom and shower bathroom on the ground floor, and an ensuite bedroom up a metal staircase. It was quite snug, but we liked how cosy it felt and the view across rooftops towards Argostoli harbour. The living room has a double-height ceiling which keeps it bright and there's a kitchenette at the back. This room opens onto the private patio; ours had gorgeous views across the sea to the Paliki peninsula and felt more private than most, slightly concealed by the garden.
The Balcony Apartment is similar in layout to the Veranda Apartments although smaller and on the first floor. The open-plan living room and twin room (which has a separate shower bathroom) both open onto the balcony.
All the apartments have fantastic long views across the island and the Ionian Sea, high-speed WiFi throughout (though ours was patchy in the upstairs bedroom) and private parking on the property.
- Air conditioning
- Safe box
Each apartment has a well-kitted out if bijou kitchenette. With surface space at a premium you won't be whipping up big family-style meals, but it works for a simple dinner. Then move outside for a sundowner on your terrace, as the west-facing apartments see gorgeous sunsets over the city.
A shopping service can be pre-booked if you would like provisions to await you on arrival; tea, coffee, salt and washing up liquid are provided, along with a local treat - ours was a box of caramelised almonds. There's a guest book in each apartment detailing local food shops, restaurants as well as activities and beaches. The nearest shops are in Argostoli, 3.5km away by car. Platys Gialos (6km) has a taverna, a café and a supermarket.
With no restaurant on site, your best bet is a quick hop to Argostoli which, being the capital of Kefalonia and a busy port, is where the best choices are. The harbour is lined with restaurants but if you're not sure where to start, the concierge will be happy to offer suggestions and make bookings. For traditional fare, check out Tzivras Restaurant 1933 (the classic Greek beef and phyllo pie kreatopita, roasted vegetables briam and moussaka are very popular), or head out of the city to Il Borgo which serves similar local fare but in the grand setting of St George’s Castle, so perfect for a romantic dinner.
- Shopping service
- There’s plenty to do in Argostoli but it’s best for eating, drinking and shopping. However, Kefalonia is a large island so it’s worth getting a car or booking one of the many tours; check in with the concierge for more details
- Sunworshippers are spoiled for choice when it comes to beaches. Famed for their beauty but further afield are Myrtos, Petani and the horseshoe-shaped Antisamos cove (Captain Corelli was filmed around here)...
- ...or closer to home, Kalamia is a petite and pretty cove, and Makrys Gialos Beach (5km) is a long stretch of white sand popular with Argostolians
- Day trippers should visit the gorgeous Melissani Cave – including a boat trip on its glassy waters – and take in the eerie splendour of the Drogarati Cave. The Castle of St George is a bit of a climb but great for a wander around its vast ruins before a dip in the sea and a drink at Peratata village below
- Definitely try to visit the villages of Assos and Fiskardo on the north of the island. The former has a small, picturesque bay lined with tavernas, while the latter is known for its chic boutiques and trendy quayside restaurants; plus the mountain drive is a spectacle in itself
- Densely forested Mount Ainos is the national park and has a number of walking trails and some (elusive) wild horses. At its height, 1600m, the views are unparalleled. Also check out the stunning Agios Gerasimos monastery, where Kefalonia’s patron saint St Gerasimos is mummified
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Historical sites
- Private guided tours
- Shopping / markets
All children over the age of 12 are welcome. Note that there are no extra beds.
Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All apartments have a second double/twin bedroom and all except Loft 2 have two bathrooms.
Kefalonia Pool Suites are situated around 3.5km from Argostoli, the island's capital city, on the Ionian island of Kefalonia.
Kefalonia airport (Anna Pollatou, 7km away) is served by charter flights from the UK and Europe throughout the summer; at other times you can fly via Athens.
From the Airport:
Taxis are freely available, you can also book a transfer, and if you want to hire a car to explore the island see our car rental recommendations. There is also onsite parking for rental cars at the Suites.
Poros port, which connects the island with Kyllini in the Peloponnese, is 41.5 km away on the southeast side of Kefalonia. Sami port connects the island with Patra, also in the Peloponnese, and is 28 km away on the northeast side of Kefalonia.
Detailed directions will be sent when you book through i-escape.
- Kefalonia Airport 7.0 km EFL
- Beach 5.0 km
- Shops 2.0 km
- Restaurant 3.5 km