“A cluster of beautifully decorated stone cottages, each sleeping 2-4, with stunning views over Kardamyli village and the rugged Mani coastline”
The ‘Outer Mani’ is a spectacular region, no doubt about it, and these apartments have one of the best views in the area. Stretching southwards to land’s end at Cape Tainaron, the jagged, blue coastline unfolds before you, while up to your left are the limestone peaks and forested slopes of Mt. Taygetus. Dotted all around are stone villages and Byzantine chapels, which make for fascinating walks and car tours. Throw in a couple of days at the beach, some fish dinners at a seaside taverna, plus a bit of R&R in your cool and spacious apartment, and you have a perfect week’s holiday for couples and families alike. The beautiful south, indeed, and a perfect 10 from me.
- The calm, contemporary studios and apartments, with well-appointed kitchens, sofas, balcony and that Greek rarity, the kettlus electricus.
- A lively welcome and advice from owner Giorgos and his wife Maria, both fluent English speakers
- The breathtaking scenery - from the pristine sea up to snow-capped Mt. Taygetus, with ancient villages and frescoed churches galore
- A personal favourite - after 20 years of exploring and travel writing, Kardamyli still tops my list
- There is no pool, but it's just a short walk to the sea
- The local beach is pebbly, though there are 2 sandy beaches 10km away
- It's hard to get to - 4 hours' drive from Athens, 1 hour from Kalamata (occasional charters) - but that's part of the appeal?
- You will need a hire car: the village of Kardamyli is 2km away (a nice 1/2-hour walk - unless you are carrying shopping!)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Bicycles Available
There are 9 studios and 4 apartments spread over the hillside in (semi) independent stone buildings, rather like a little village. All of them have a balcony, a bathroom with shower (except apt. 131: tub), and a well-equipped kitchen (see Eating). The studios, which are housed in 2-storey cottages, one-up one-down, have one twin or double bedroom; the apartments, some of which are free-standing, have a second room which can be used as a sitting room or a children’s bedroom, using the 2 sofa-beds. The largest apartment, no. 131 above reception, has a huge living room and terrace, and enough bedspace, using an extra bed or cot, for a family of 5.
The open-plan arrangement, combined with simple tiled floors and light pine furniture, gives the apartments a cool, contemporary, spacious feel. The German kitchen fittings are seriously efficient, and the bathrooms a cut or two above the Greek average. Giorgos has chosen tasteful outdoor furniture for the balcony (or terrace), as well as tasteful pictures and prints inside (in the past he exhibited watercolours and arty photographs at his mother’s restaurant). Air-con, Venetian blinds and a mountain breeze keep the rooms pleasantly cool, and there is barely a sound, other than the rasp of cicada crickets and the melodic tootling of the 4 daily buses as they pass through the village below.
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Internet access
All the rooms have a well-equipped kitchen corner, with fridge, toaster, kettle, pans and cooker (but no oven). There is a wooden table and chairs, cutlery and crockery to suffice easily for 2 (studios), 4 (most apartments) or 6 (apartment no. 131).
You can pre-order a continental breakfast which Maria will bring to your room - and there's no better start to the day than orange juice, pastries and coffee on the sea-facing balcony or terrace. But after the first day or two you may prefer to get your own supplies and do it yourself. You'll find all you need for simple meals (omelettes, salads etc).
For dinner, we highly recommend you head out to one of Kardamyli's many charming restaurants for fresh seafood and classic Greek dishes cooked the way they were always meant to be. The nearest - and one of the best - is the taverna attached to Elies, about 10 minutes' walk away by the beach. In the village itself (20-30 minutes' walk), we can particularly recommend Lela's taverna, run by Giorgos' elderly mother, for its fresh home cooking and unrivalled seaside setting. There are also several seaside eateries in nearby Stoupa.
There are two small but well-stocked supermarkets at the entrance to Kardamyli, with fresh fruit and veg as well as lots of familiar packet food. There is a butcher and a baker in the village, and several peripatetic fishmonger vans.
- Coffee / tea making
- Restaurants nearby
- Walk the old, zigzagging mulepaths and flower-lined tracks between villages – Giorgos can give you advice and a sketch map of trails from 2-5 hours
- Explore the old town and chapel of Kardamyli, or the many frescoed Byzantine chapels dotted among the olive groves, such as Ayia Sofia (ask about the key before going!) and Likaki monastery
- Swim at the pebbly beach below the hotel, or the sandy ones at Stoupa, 10km away; there's also a dramatic, cliff-ringed cove at Fonissa, 5km away
- Hire a fishing boat and sail down the coast to an isolated cove or village, or across to Koroni on the western peninsula
- Drive down to Areopolis (1 hour) to visit the spectacular sea-caves of Pirgos Dirou
- Hike through the breathtaking Viros gorge from Exohori or Tseria (4 hrs), or the lesser-known Koskarakas gorge below Gaïtses (3-6 hrs)
- Trek up to the 2400-metre-high peaks of Taygetus: you will need a map, lots of water, sturdy boots, good fitness and a high clearance car to get to the trailhead at Ayios Dimitrios
- Visit the crumbling Frankish forts of Zarnatas (near Stavropigio) and Kapetani (Sotirianika); or the Mycenean beehive-tomb at Kambos - all are within an hour's drive
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Historical sites
A great place for children young and old: beaches, small castles to explore, a bit of nightlife for older kids, and a separate sitting room with comfy sofa-beds (apartments only) for them to sleep in. The cost of the apartments is the same for 2 or 3 people with a 10% surcharge of the room rate for a 4th person. There are cots available but bring a high chair. Make sure your children have sun protection and plenty to drink. Remember, it is a 20-minute walk from Kardamyli itself.
Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
Cots Available, Extra Beds Available
Baby cots available on request
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Notos is just outside the coastal village of Kardamyli (also written Kardamili, Kardamyle) which is near Kalamata in the southern Peloponnese. It's about 4 hours' drive from Athens.
Athens (320km) or Kalamata (40km - restricted flights). Click on the links below for a list of airlines.
From Athens it is 4-5 hours drive, following a motorway via Corinth to Tripolis and then a country road via Kalamata to Kardamyli. Driving through Athens is fine now that the Attiki Odos (ring road) is ready. Pick up the latest leaflet from the airport info desk before setting off. See our car rental recommendations.
If you don't want to drive you can take a taxi. It's 1 hour from Kalamata and 4.5 hours from Athens - see Rates for an idea of cost.
If you're feeling brave, you can take a bus from Athens to Kalamata (4 hours+) and another bus or a taxi from Kalamata to Kardamyli (1 hour). The buses from Athens leave from Kifissou Street bus station ("KTEL Kifissou", best reached by taxi from the airport) and they go every 1 - 1½ hours. Notos is about 1 km outside Kardamyli so you'll need to call Maria to come and collect you.
The train from Athens to Kalamata is much slower (7-10 hours) but also cheaper.
Detailed directions to the hotel itself will be sent when you confirm your booking.
More on getting to Greece and getting around.
- Kalamata 35.0 km KLX
- Athens, Eleftherios Venizelos 320.0 km ATH
- Beach 0.5 km
- Shops 1.0 km
- Restaurant 0.5 km