“Fourteen hill-top villas and a fine restaurant with panoramic views of Lovina Bay in unspoilt North Bali”
If you want a break from its massage treatments and gentle ocean breeze, Danish-owned The Damai gives you more ideas than days: treks to waterfalls; diving and snorkelling excursions; local markets; bird-watching and painting. Or if you want to laze away the pre-cocktail hour watching films, there's a huge library to choose from. Damai means 'peaceful', and sitting beneath the crimson bouganvilea looking out to sea that's just what it is.
- Immense hypnotic views of the bay, plantations and mountains - poolside cocktails at sunset are fabulous
- Just 14 villas in a peaceful verdant setting, and all are butler-serviced 24 hours a day
- Scouting out the different exotic fruits in their organic garden - they are passionate about the hotel's eco-projects
- North Bali is far less commercialised than the south - up here, you get a much better insight into the local way of life
- Wide range of cultural and nature-based trips and activities on offer
- A 3-hour drive from Denpasar airport (and thankfully off the beaten track) so best combined with an overnight stay in the south (eg. Jimbaran Bay)
- No direct beach access (this is more of a rural retreat although the hotel offers a free shuttle for the 10-minute drive to Lovina)
- The lava sands of the northern beaches are dark grey but the snorkelling and diving nearby are excellent
- Not for those seeking nightlife - most guests head back to their rooms after dinner
- Whilst walking up to the restaurant you can see into some of the bungalows
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- Restaurant and bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Concierge Service
- Bicycles Available
The 6 Garden Villas and 2 Pool Studios sit along a winding stone path that leads down from the restaurant, bar and pool terrace through lush manicured gardens. Each has large windows with lots of light coming in and views across the valley and hills or to the ocean beyond, and are simple but elegantly furnished and very comfortable. Inside you'll find a four-poster bed, sunken sitting area, writing desk, a few books and Balinese antiques; we stayed in a Garden Villa and slept very well. We're yet to see the Pool Studios, but they appear very similar in design, the difference being that they come with their own pool and have sea views.
Bathrooms have wood sinks and open-air showers set in vine clad stone-walled gardens (most also have a Jacuzzi bath). Locally-made organic toiletries are presented in glassware rather than plastic. The Damai burns its own incense to take care of any nasty mossies; the netted drapes over the bed offer extra protection. You also get a welcome bowl of fruit and very thorough info pack of what you can get up to in and around the area.
The stunning villas with private pool (revamped in 2009) are located on their own hill, accessed by foot or by golf buggy via a flower-clad bridge. Ranging in size from 1-3 bedrooms, all offer a sprawling living space furnished with hardwood, local and imported fabrics. Each has an extensive collection of Indonesian art and antiques, which creates an elegant yet homely interior, topped off by breathtaking views of the valley and the ocean. Bathrooms are designed in black natural stone and the huge bale pavilions are the perfect place to relax (and let your butler bring you organic treats from the restaurant!). Outside, each villa is surrounded by heliconias, lemon grass, lotus ponds and fruit trees - dotted with statues and art from all over Indonesia.
The sumptuous Pool Villas, with 1 bedroom, are set admidst lush tropical gardens with balé pavillions and stunning views of the valley and the distant sea. Inside they have a bedroom, living room and large bathroom with tub; outside, an open-air shower, bale pavillion and pool. The larger Master Pool Villas are perfect for a family, thanks to their additional bedroom and bathroom, and 2 of everything outside - 2 pavillions, 2 terraces, 1 or 2 pools!
The best option for a larger family or group is the 2-Bedroom Pool Villa. On the lower level is a small study room which can be used as a third bedroom on request; on the upper level is a master and second bedroom, a living space with dining room, a library/cinema, a large swimming pool, and its own cozy bale pavilion.
All villas have air conditioning, LCD TV, CD and DVD players, mini bar, safety box, hair dryer, bath robe and slippers.
- Air conditioning
- Cd player
- Cots Available
- Dvd player
- Extra beds
- Internet access
- Mosquito net
- Safe box
Damai Lovina's restaurant is highly rated and has won a number of awards. Produce mainly comes from The Damai’s own farm - spices and herbs, fruit and veg, pigeon, rabbit, pig, crayfish... even snails! Everything is organic and hats off to their use of mother nature - we even drank our sunset cocktails through bamboo straws.
The Asian-European fusion cuisine is elaborate and sounds great: starters such as sashimi of kobe meat with lime jelly and enoki mushrooms; mains like Damai bouillabaise or the Balinese classic Babi Guling (suckling pig). Great care is taken with the presentation: - expect fancy plates, artistic swirls of jus or coulis and imaginative caramel and wafer constructions. Vegetarian menus are available and almost any dietary request is catered for.
Tasty breakfasts and panoramic views from the first-floor restaurant are a wonderful way to start the day. A Continental breakfast is included in the room rate and includes freshly baked bread, Danish pastries, hot croissants, homemade jams, fresh fruits and seasonal tropical juice. A la carte dishes such as banana pancakes and porridge are available at extra cost, and you can order picnics for any trips you go on.
Most guests dine at the hotel at night, but there are a couple of bars in town you might want to try, such as GigiZ and Poco Bar. Jasmin’s Kitchen is also popular and serves simple Thai food.
- Children meals
- Organic produce
- Vegetarian menu
- Wander around the organic farm and grounds, walk up into the hills and soak up the fertile plantation mountain landscape.
- Catch your breath for views of the north Bali coast from the old capital Singaraja in the East to the sun setting behind the volcanoes of Java to the West.
- Take some cooking classes from bread and cake making to Balinese cooking with market tour classes
- Relax with a massage in the rustic spa - or try one of The Damai’s mandis (pampering treatment baths performed by spa therapists)
- Go mountain biking (bikes for hire)
- Take one of The Damai excursions to nearby villages or travel further afield to South, East or West of Bali. The following are a few examples of what they can arrange:
- Boat ride into Lovina Bay to watch the dolphins at the crack of dawn (by arrangement)
- Take a trip to Lovina Beach 10 mins away (free shuttle) - the lava sand is black but waters are clear for snorkelling out on coral reefs a short boat trip away
- Visit Singaraja 15 mins away - an authentic Indonesian city with genuine early morning markets for fish fruit and spices.
- Visit the village of Munduk 40 mins away for fine examples of terraced rice paddies, buddhist monastery and waterfall.
- Journey to Bedugal to 40 metre high Gitgit Waterfalls and jump in its pools... or visit Gitgit’s totally unknown cousin, the waterfall in Ambengan. The only other visitors you are likely to meet here are groups of monkeys playing in the vines over the crystal clear rock pool
- Golf can be arranged at the Bali Handara Golf and Country Club 50 mins away
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Cooking classes
- Massage available
- Plantlife / flora
- Scuba diving
- Shopping / markets
- Traditional cultures
- Well being
Children of all ages are welcome but there are no special activities for them at the hotel. There are 6 rooms with sunken lounges, and the mattresses from these can easily be converted to children’s beds. Children under 6 years of age stay free of charge in their parents rooms. There is a supplement for extra beds.
Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can fit an extra bed or baby cot. The Pool Studios and pool villas all have their own private pools, though the Master Pool Villas and 2-Bedroom Pool Villa are recommended as they have additional bedrooms and more living space; the 2-Bedroom Pool Villa even has its own cinema, and can sleep up to 6 plus a baby.
Babysitting available by arrangement.
A children’s menu is available and other meals are charged at 50%.