“Remote retreat in the bio-diverse Bali Barat National Park, a wildlife-wonderland”
If you are worried by insects, snakes, spiders and wild chickens, this is not for you. If you want to connect with nature, it’s heaven, and the guides know their stuff. Butterflies, rare birds, sparkling fish, sea turtles, wild deer, monkeys on the beach - they’re a big part of the magic. What’s more, the romantic rooms and villas, by the pool or by the sea, are comfortable, charming, spotless and serene, while the food, part Western, part Indonesian, is tasty and fresh. As for sunset Happy Hour in the soaring Bali Tower, with views that reach all the way to Java, it’s an experience you’ll remember all your life.
- A nature resort within a national park, committed to restoring bio-diversity
- A profoundly therapeutic place to stay
- Menjangan Island is right opposite: crystal waters, coral reefs, stunning snorkelling
- The Beach Villas, set right on pristine sands; heaven to relax on
- Staff are exceptionally kind and responsive to needs
- The resort has a large footprint and travelling between the Lodge and beach is time-consuming (up to 20 mins' walk), but there are 'safari shuttles' on request
- Outdoors activities, though first class, are pricey by Bali standards
- The shallow, murky waters off the beach are for waders not swimmers
- Be prepared for insects and small beasties; Beach Villa bathrooms are open to the elements and mosquitoes
- No WiFi - a high for some!
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Hotel
- 2 restaurants + bar (open daily)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Bicycles Available
The rooms at the Lodge (Monsoon Deluxes and Suites) are built in the bush around the tree-fringed main pool. All have Bengkirai wood floors and traditional alang-alang grass roofs. The Suites are especially lovely, super-big and airy, with private decks and four-poster beds. The Deluxe rooms can interconnect; handy for families.
If you like to nod off to the sound of the sea, the Beach Villas are perfect (20 minutes from the Lodge by safari shuttle). Connected by boardwalks to protect the mangrove, each is a generous 100 sqm in size and built in Joglo style, with an uncluttered modern décor and windows for ocean views. Verandas come with bean bags and low-slung chairs, from which you can see the deer bathe in the sea - magical.
Throughout, rooms come with white linens, iPod docks and TV/DVD players (bring DVDs), and spiced citrus soaps for showers. (The Beach Villas have big bathtubs, too.) Nice surprises include fruit baskets, cookie jars and bottled water. There are also bug sprays and lotions, and air con. Each room is immaculate and cleaned twice a day.
Finally - The Menjangan Residence, a show-stopper, sleeping 6 with the luxury of butler service. It has amazing views of Bayun Bay from its elevated decked balconies, and from its cliff-perched private infinity pool.
- Air conditioning
- Coffee / tea making
- Cots Available
- Extra beds
- Fruit basket
- Insect repellent
- Ipod dock
- Mosquito net (on request)
- Safe box
- Satellite TV
For guests at the Lodge, the Bali Tower is a 600m walk away, or a 5-minute hop in the shuttle. From the Beach Villas, it's a 20-minute journey. A spectacular creation constructed from logs 33m high, the tower’s top floors soar above the forest canopy affording 360-degree views across the ocean, over to the volcanoes of Java. The middle floors are devoted to an open-air restaurant; below is Reception. Note, the Bali Tower is great for mocktails and cocktails, the tree monkeys entertaining you as you chill.
For those staying in the Beach Villas, the attractively decked Pantai Restaurant is a stroll away, specializing in seafood barbecues. A barefoot bar and lounge has beach bags, chill-out music and candles. There are also some secluded gazebos.
The food in both restaurants is part Indonesian, part ‘international’ - you choose. Being remote, the options are limited, and opinions of the cuisine vary among those who’ve visited. However, breakfast comes in for much praise, with the a la carte menu offering everything from eggs Benedict to a delicious nasi goreng.
- Coffee / tea making
- Room service
- Vegetarian menu
Bali Barat National Park is home to deer, wild pigs, black and macaque monkeys and a wide range of birdlife, while the coast is rich in corals and fish.
- Take up the offer of a free test dive. If you like it, set off with the Dive Crew to Menjangan Island, one of the most thrilling snorkelling spots in the world. Whether you snorkel or dive off its white-sand shores, you’ll swim amongst coral reefs, pygmy seahorses and 50 different kinds of fish
- Trek, bike or kayak through the mangroves spotting butterflies and birds, including the rare (but recovering) Bali Starling. Go with a nature guide: they are excellent
- Saddle up - there’s a stables on site. The horses are Australian and the sunset rides are amazing
- Chill out by the pool and in the hot tub. The waters are warm and delightful (though the overhanging trees sometimes shed twigs and leaves!)
- Down on the beach, facing the ocean, the Mangrove Spa is simple and peaceful. Hard to imagine a more idyllic location for a therapeutic massage; all you’ll hear is the lapping of the sea
Activities on site or nearby include:
- Boat trips
- Horse riding
- Plantlife / flora
- Private guided tours
- Scuba diving
- Well being
Families are welcome at The Menjangan and it's fantastic for adventurous older kids and teenagers, with snorkelling, diving, horse riding and wildlife spotting. There are no specific facilities for younger children, and note that activities have a minimum age stipulation of 5, and baby monitors won't stretch from any accommodation to the restaurants.
Children (4-12 years), Teens (over 12)
Family friendly accommodation:
All rooms can fit 1 rollaway bed or baby cot. It is possible to accommodate a family of four if the fourth child shares their parents' bed. The Deluxe Rooms can interconnect. The Menjangan Residence has 2 kingsize bedrooms, 1 twin bedroom and space for a rollaway bed so is great for a multi-generational family.
- Baby cots
- High chairs in both restaurants
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
Kids Activities on site:
- Swimming pool
Kids Activities nearby:
- Horse riding
- Adventure biking
- Sea kayaking
- Forest experiences
- Night-time safaris
Families Should Know:
No swimming is permitted below the Beach Villas due to the sharp coral