The two lovingly restored villas are rooted within vast gardens just north of Perugia. The larger Farm House has 5 airy bedrooms with beautiful traditional furnishings, and ancient living spaces dominated by terracotta bricks and tiles. Its Mediterranean-style kitchen is perfect for families; home-cooked meals can be arranged. There are two terraces for admiring the lush greenery, plus a secluded pool with umbrellas and loungers. The smaller Tobacco House - an equally beautiful restoration - has 3 ensuite bedrooms, a large bright kitchen, a lovely patio and a shaded private pool.
You’ll be welcomed by India, daughter of the owners, who is a wealth of knowledge and can offer plenty of handy information about charming Città di Castello (15 mins) and Sansepolcro (20 mins). Both have fantastic restaurants and weekly food markets, and there's great hiking, cycling, riding and medieval art on your doorstep.
- A truly wonderful rural setting, with vast gardens and grounds, and plenty of nooks for lazing, bird watching or catching the sun
- Cheerful yet discreet owner, India, is available with tips and suggestions at any time
- A generous welcome pack of food and essentials, so you can relax upon arrival without worrying about shopping
- No traffic noises. You are fully immersed in the countryside (yet close to a couple of charming market towns)
- Wonderful home-cooked dinners (on request), which guests have compared to Michelin starred cuisine
- Access to the villas is along a small gravel track which can be bumpy after rain
- No air con, but you’re 400m above sea level so it’s not a big deal
- No pets allowed, but the owners have lovely golden retrievers you can become friends with
- No twin bedrooms in the Farm House (only doubles)
- A seven-day minimum stay between May-September
Best time to go
Our top tips
During the summer you will see posters advertising village food festivals where local communities show off a particular gastronomic speciality - perhaps roasted wild boar, truffle pasta, wild porcini mushrooms, marinated goat or expertly made polenta.
- Country Hideaways
- 2 villas for 6-10
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Outdoor Pool
- Spa Treatments
- Beach Nearby
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Car essential
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
The Tobacco House
The heart of this house is a wonderful double-height living area, flooded with light from the brick-latticed windows on the upper floor. There are plenty of sitting nooks, upstairs and down. The airy feel continues into the open-plan kitchen-dining room, with its white walls, French windows and bright artworks. There's a central island for prepping and snacking, and a long dining table seating 8 in comfort; plus a perfect little terrace with views across the valley.
Upstairs are 3 bright, uncluttered bedrooms - two doubles and one twin - all boasting ensuite bathrooms with showers. Puccini is a smart, cool twin with French doors opening onto a garden terrace. Verdi has a sofa and a luxurious kingsize bed. Tomato-coloured Rossini has a queensize bed and its own double door entrance off the landing, which leads to steps that curl around with iron railings.
The Farm House
The larger padronale house has a cosy rustic feel, with exposed brick, stone and beams in the rambling living-dining areas, and a woodburner in the huge hearth. Lots of books, lamps, paintings and arty trinkets give it a really lived-in feel. The traditional terracotta-paved kitchen has plenty of working space and utensils, various cookbooks and lots of local produce as part of the welcome pack. A French door leads out to a small patio terrace.
Its 5 large double bedrooms come with beautiful, artistic fabrics and furnishings, some bought from vintage markets and expertly restored by the owners. The rooms feel rich in history and warmth. All are double bedded, and one is slightly smaller than the rest. There are four bathrooms (two are ensuite) with a bathtub in the master room. A couple of bedrooms have washbasins. There are mosquito nets over the beds, and plug-in repellents too.
- Explore the lovely, historic towns of Città di Castello (15 mins) and Sansepolcro (20 mins); traditional restaurants and food markets too
- There are plenty of walking trails for exploring the lovely countryside; mountain bikes can be delivered to your door for an extra fee
- If you fancy riding a horse in the Umbrian countryside there is a riding school 5 minutes away for lessons or guided rides
- Take a day trip to the beautiful hilltop Tuscan city of Arezzo
- Early Renaissance master Piero della Francesca painted a lot in this area; you can see his stunning frescos in Arezzo, Sansepolcro and Monterchi (we love the Madonna del Parto here)
- The owner, India, can arrange local wine tours or cooking classes
Children of all ages are welcome at The Umbrian Hideaway. Both villas are great for families and each has plenty of space for them to run around and explore. Games and toys can be arranged on request. The Tobacco House is better suited for families with smaller children, whereas families with older children and teens would probably prefer the Farm House. Beach towels, as well as linen, are provided and changed once a week.
Kids Activities on site:
Families Should Know:
The pool isn't fenced but is positioned above the villa and is reached via steps and paths throughout the garden.
- Airport: 60 minutes
- Shops: 7 minutes
- Clinic/Hospital: 20 minutes
The Umbrian Hideaway is located in northern Umbria, near the hilltop town of Lippiano.
Perugia is the closest airport (1 hour), or fly into Florence (1 hour 40). Rimini, Bologna and Pisa are all about 2 hours' drive away.
From the Airport
You'll need a car to get here and to explore the area - see our car rental recommendations. You can park for free at the villas.
Detailed directions will be sent to you when you book through i-escape.
- Perugia 50.0 km PEG
- Beach 85.0 km
- Shops 10.0 km
- Restaurant 10.0 km