“Three stylish cottages and two apartments (sleeping 2-9) converted from fishermen’s houses, right on the harbour of this sleepy town in eastern Crete”
The family cottages are the stars, each arranged over 2 floors with sunny terraces overlooking the bobbing boats and yellow nets of Makriyialos’ fishing harbour. Two smaller apartments, one on each floor of a newer building, make excellent options for a couple. There are sandy beaches, boat trips to uninhabited islands, and rewarding hikes in the rugged limestone mountains behind.
- A choice of sizes, ranging from a couple to a large family (if you want more space, the owner also has a stunning villa for up to 9)
- Gorgeous interiors, which marry simple Greek aesthetics with Scandinavian comforts
- Fish restaurants and waterfront tavernas on your doorstep
- Eastern Crete invites exploration: deep gorges, remote coves, Orthodox monasteries, Minoan palaces
- Some of the coast nearby is swathed in polytunnels
- The apartments lack character, compared to the cottages
- There’s a preferred minimum stay of a week (but plenty to fill it with)
Best time to go
Our top tips
- Boutique Apartments & Cottages
- Self-catering (+ restaurants nearby)
- All ages welcome
- Open all year
- Spa Treatments
- Pet Friendly
- Disabled Access
- Beach Nearby
- Off-street Parking
- Restaurants Nearby
- Air Conditioning
- Guest Lounge
- Daily Maid Service
- Towels & Bedlinen
- Laundry Service
- Maid service 3 time a week
These 3 cottages and 2 apartments vary in size and layout, but one thing they all have in common is style: splashes of bright colour against whitewashed walls, pretty wooden or wrought iron furniture, and a few antiques(fading kilims, brass candlesticks, a historic diver’s bell). Some have wooden floorboards and beamed ceilings, others marble floors and bright downlighters set into the plaster overhead. And a few have retained the corner hearth from their days as fishermen’s homes. All properties have a well-equipped kitchen, gratifyingly efficient bathrooms (some ensuite, others adjoining; some with tub, others with shower).
Pride of place goes to the White House (sleeps up to 7), with its two gorgeous double bedrooms, one with a wrought-iron four-poster, and a pair of generous sitting rooms with massive wooden sofas. The Double House is the largest, with 2 lovely bedrooms (one has stairs to a roof terrace) and 3 cosy rooms which can be used as single bedrooms or sitting rooms; it boasts a small private chapel with bucket-style terracotta chairs (based on a Minoan design). The Winter House is smaller, newer and cheaper than the other 2 - perfect for families of 3-4 - with the same blue-on-white minimalist design, including a blue-tiled shower cylinder planted inside the master bedroom.
The apartments would suit a couple, each occupying one floor of a newer building. They are clean, white and refreshingly minimal, but lack the exotic touches and decorative flair of the cottages. The Balcony Apt has (you guessed it) a balcony overlooking the harbour; the Harbour Apt has no outside areas but, unlike the others, there are no stairs to negotiate.
- Air conditioning
- CD player
- Central heating
- Cots Available
- DVD player
- Extra beds
- Full kitchen
- Internet access
- Satellite TV
- Washing machine
All properties have a well-equipped kitchen (fridge-freezer, kettle, coffee machine, toaster), with a dining area for the appropriate number of guests. They too are decorated with rustic chic - old bread trays and meshed larders on the wall, or huge amphorae and clay vases on the floor - and stocked with breakfast provisions and cooking staples, including organic oil from their own olive groves. All the cottages have some form of outside dining area; guests in the ‘Harbour Apt’ can take a table out onto the quayside and have a Greek-style café breakfast.
If you prefer to eat out, Makriyialos harbour has a string of old-fashioned tavernas serving fresh-grilled fish, home-baked veg dishes and the juiciest of Greek salads, all accompanied by tangy retsina and goats’ cheese. Alternatively, Olympio café serves good snacks and pizzas, or there’s an Italian restaurant in neighbouring Analipsi.
- Children's meals
- Full kitchen
- In house cook
- Restaurants nearby
- Makriyialos is the prettiest town on this stretch of coast, with a picturesque fishing harbour, traces of Minoan and Roman settlements, a wide choice of waterfront tavernas and a bustling Friday market
- Nearby is a gently sloping, sandy beach with watersports in summer (water skiing, wind surfing, 'banana rides', para sailing and sailboat hire)
- Hikers can explore marked, pine-shaded tracks through the Pefki valley, a few miles east of Makriyialos; climb the rocky 1500-metre summit of Afendis Estravromenos; or trek through the breathtaking Thripti gorge that gashes through its flanks (start from Orino, 30 mins drive away)
- Hire a car and explore the stark and stunning far east of Crete (old maps may not show the new road): start at the sleepy town of Sitia, continue past Toplou monastery (forbidding exterior, welcoming monks), to the tropical palm beaches at Vai (crowded in summer) or Palekastro (less crowded, but less palmy); and don’t miss the breathtaking ‘Valley of the Dead’ and Minoan ruins at Zakros
- The buzzing north-coast town of Ayios Nikolaos, the swanky resorts of Elounda, the leper island of Spinalonga and the mountain plateau of Lasithi are all feasible as day-trips from here
- Crete is a wonderfully diverse island, with lots more to see and do. For more of our favourites, check out our destination guide
Activities on site or nearby include:
Children are welcome and the houses are perfect for families or groups. Extra beds cost the same whether for children or adults.
Toddlers (1-4 years), Children (4-12 years)
Family friendly accommodation:
Whatever the size of your family, there's something at The White Houses to suite you. Apartments can sleep 2 adults and a child, and the cottages can fit up to 9! Do note that none of the bathrooms have a tub.
English-speaking babysitting is available by arrangement, see Rates.
- Baby cots
- High chair
- Baby bedding
- Night light
Remember baby and child equipment may be limited or need pre-booking
The well-equipped kitchens have blenders and microwaves so little ones will be looked after as well as older kids.
Kids Activities on site:
- Children's DVDs
- Books and some toys
Kids Activities nearby:
- Fishing villages
- Boat trips to quiet islands
Families Should Know:
There are some steep steps. There is a shop very close by for nappies, food and beach toys.
- Airport: 2 hours
- Hospital: 20 minutes
- Doctor: 2 minutes